Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Night Of Beautiful Music, Pizza, But Then There's Me So ...

IAN ZAFRA

ANDY CALOPE

THE LINE DIVIDES


THE DIFFICULT STRANGER


RESCUE A HERO





I just finished three Tuesdays in a row playing at Handuraw Pizza in Gorrodo Avenue, Lahug, Cebu City with Andy Calope and friends, and by friends means us, his guests. I never played much so this is like heaven for me.



Last March 10 was special. The British Council was there so it was like a party. Plus my favorite Cebu band Rescue A Hero also jammed with us.

Rescue A Hero graced the stage first with their indie folk/rock music, a genre not very common here in Cebu.

Then after them I took over. It was ok until i noticed the large crowd and being serious on stage in a crowd like that is like suicide. I don't wanna be reduced to a background music.

So instead of singing the songs i plotted in my setlist, i sidetracked and sing some beat up country songs instead. I forgot the lyrics to some songs but that didn't matter, i would just make them up as i go along.

And this thing i did mostly in my bedroom i tried it for the first time over there. It's using my mouth as an instrument and that night i imitated the sound of harmonica but instead ended up sounding like a goat looking for his mama...

... which brings delight to the foreign guests. hahahaha. I can see some laughing, some taking pictures (i even stopped in the middle of ta song just to raise my hand and pose to this Chinese lady hehehe. That's how weird i am). And a certain aquafire over at istorya even post that my songs are best played with harmonica..

well...

Then just when you think the craziness is over, a band surprised us all. They are called The Line Divides and they play happy music. I forgot the name of their vocalist but i find him entertaining with his dance moves that makes me wanna join him and dance....

And finally it mellowed down when Andy Calope took over with his guitar and his honest down to earth songs that could stop you from your current endeavor and makes you think of greater things than your past heartache..,

But that night he let me down. Why? Because he didn't play my favorite song Gayle, a song he wrote about... hmmm let him tell it here.

And the night was closed by another surprised guest, Mr. Ian Zafra, better known as the long haired guitar player behind Sheila and the Insects. But this time he got short hair.

And the show is over. We wnet home happy and none of us are exhausted.... Well, atleast i ain't. hahaha

Plus i met a girl. Not the kind of met a girl like get to know, oh no not like that. Ask any of my friends and they knew i am torpe. Tameme. Muted Mouth (according to Undercover Grasshoppers). whatever.

I'll tell you all about it next time.

Meanwhile i am gonna go take a bath cause I'm gonna catch the Ocean Jet this 5:30AM, an hour from now...

I'll be going to Bohol for two days


Till next time,
Mike

0 comments: